NAMI Basics is a 6-session online educational course for parents and family caregivers of children and young adults under the age of 22 who are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition or who have already been diagnosed. The NAMI Basics course will be held on Thursday mornings, from 9:00 – 11:45, beginning Thursday October 8, 2020. The course will take place online and is completely FREE to participants.
You’ll learn facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, school, and when getting medical care. You’ll also find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The online group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. Sharing your own experience may help others in your class. In the courses, you’ll learn about:
• How to solve problems and communicate effectively.
• Taking care of yourself and managing your stress.
• The impact of mental health conditions on the entire family.
• Supporting your loved one with compassion.
• Finding and using local supports and services.
• Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and current treatments and therapies.
• An overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and resources to help you navigate these systems.
• How to advocate for your family member’s rights at school and in health care settings.
• How to prepare for and respond to crisis situations (self-harm, suicide attempts, etc.)
The NAMI Basics program was developed by the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the nation’s largest grassroots nonprofit organization aimed at improving quality of life for people living with mental health conditions and their families. NAMI Southwest CT is the local affiliate serving lower Fairfield County, CT.
For more information about NAMI Basics, please visit our website: https://www.namisouthwestct.org/nami-basics
To register for the NAMI Basics course, contact Evan Pagano at email@example.com or (203) 273-7226.