A Bloc of Writers, Inc. will sponsor a free webinar titled “The ABCs of College Admissions,” on Tuesday, May 23, from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Admission to selective colleges and universities has gotten more complex and competitive in recent years, and Covid-19 created added stress, according to Michele Turk, founder of A Bloc of Writers, a Greenwich-based tutoring company. “Many parents and students assume they have a handle on the college admissions landscape — until it’s time to apply,” said Turk. “This webinar is designed to equip parents and students with information, resources, and strategies to maximize the impact of applications while minimizing stress.”
College Consultant Doris Freedman will provide guidance and tips about how to:
• help you understand which students get in and why;
• share strategies for reducing stress associated with the college application process;
• decode demonstrated interest;
• debunk the myth of ‘the well-rounded student’ and discuss what colleges actually want to see in extracurriculars;
• spell out what colleges are and aren’t looking for in applicants;
• address trends in college admissions (yes, admit rates are at an all-time low at some schools);
• offer advice and answer questions about formulating an admissions strategy (including EA/ED applications), creating a balanced school list, and planning summer and fall activities to make college applications stand out;
• provide resources for figuring out what students really want in a college and finding best-fit colleges.
Both students and their parents are welcome to attend.
To register, visit: https://www.ablocofwriters.com/events-classes
For more information, email Michele@ablocofwriters.com or call 203-622-2968. www.ablocofwriters.com
About the speakers:
Doris Freedman is a graduate of UCLA’s College Counseling program. Since 2017, she has worked as a private college counselor and as a college advisor with Yonkers Partners in Education, a not-for-profit organization, where she guided more than 100 students through the complete college application process. She has conducted frequent information sessions for students, parents and volunteers about strategies for increasing the odds of acceptance, developing impactful college essays, building a balanced college list, maximizing the Common Application, and financial aid. To help students develop authentic, compelling college essays, Doris draws on her background as an award-winning freelance writer and as an attorney who has authored persuasive briefs for courts nationwide, including the U.S. Supreme Court. She is a member of the National Association for College Admission Counseling, the New York State Association for College Admission Counseling and an associate member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association.
Michele Turk founded A Bloc of Writers, a Greenwich-based tutoring company, in 2014. Michele worked as a professional writer and editor for the past two decades. Her work has appeared in many national publications and websites, among them BusinessWeek, Parents, U.S. News & World Report, Shape, Glamour, Elle, The Washington Post and USA Weekend. Michele also worked as an adjunct professor of journalism at Quinnipiac University. She is an associate member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association.