January 14, 2019
Winter Safety Tips From The Greenwich Fire Department
By Richard Kaufman
The Greenwich Fire Department has issued a few tips that residents should follow for a safe and enjoyable winter season.
- Remove and dispose of old Christmas trees, wreaths, roping. They burn fiercely as they may have been cut in early Fall.
- Be extremely careful with candles and other open flames.
- Put fireplace ashes in a metal ash can and keep can outside, away from house. Embers stay hot for days. Plastic, paper or cardboard must not be used to remove or store ash.
- Keep space heaters at least 3’ away from combustibles.
- Don’t leave pots on the stove unattended.
- Do not run your generator in your garage, run outdoors in a wide open area. Note the wind direction and where exhaust is going.
- Make sure your home has WORKING smoke alarms and Carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your house.
- Be careful when warming your vehicle. Be diligent if your vehicle operates by a fob or push button ignition. Always make sure your vehicle is off when in the garage.