The Greenwich Preservation Trust will honor Christ Church and its congregation with “The 2016 Preservation Leadership Award,” for their achievements in restoring and preserving their historical 1910 buildings. The ceremony takes place Sunday, May 15 from 5 to 7 p.m., at the Tomes-Higgins House, 254 East Putnam Avenue.
Christ Church traces its roots to 1705 when the first Anglican worship service took place. In 1747, work began on Horseneck Chapel, the first permanent structure to appear on land donated to the Parish by Israel Knapp. Horseneck Chapel was demolished by a hurricane in 1821, and so began the great tradition of renewal. A new chapel was consecrated in 1834, followed by a larger facility erected in 1857. The Gothic triangle formed by the Sanctuary, Parish House and Annex, which anchors today’s campus.
Over the years, Christ Church’s commitment to worship and ourtreach has evolved to meet the changing needs of the congregation and wider community. Today the facilities also function as designated emergency response spaces for the American Red Cross, the State of Connecticut, and the Church Pension Group.
There will be a campus tour starting at 4 p.m. For more information, visit greenwichpreservationtrust.org